Changes between Initial Version and Version 1 of Kolhapur Cinetone


Ignore:
Timestamp:
Jun 23, 2012, 2:25:43 PM (10 years ago)
Author:
Trupti
Comment:

--

Legend:

Unmodified
Added
Removed
Modified
  • Kolhapur Cinetone

    v1 v1  
     1'''Kolhapur Cinetone''' 
     2 
     3 
     4A rare instance of a film studio funded directly 
     5by feudal royalty. Amid the popular cultural 
     6renaissance in the first decades of the 20th C. 
     7around the court of the Shahu Maharaj at 
     8Kolhapur, Baburao Painter’s Maharashtra 
     9Film was already a showpiece. When V. 
     10Shantaram, Damle-Fattelal and Baburao 
     11Pendharkar left to start Prabhat in 1929, and 
     12later when Painter himself resigned to seal the 
     13fate of Maharashtra Film, numerous efforts 
     14were made by the Shahu Maharaj himself to 
     15continue the tradition that had earned 
     16Kolhapur the title of the ‘Hollywood of Marathi 
     17film’. The family started the Shalini Cinetone 
     18exclusively to keep Painter employed. In 1933, 
     19when Prabhat moved to Pune, they launched 
     20Kolhapur Cinetone as its rival, enticing 
     21Baburao Pendharkar, Bhalji Pendharkar and 
     22Master Vinayak to quit Prabhat and to take 
     23over this new venture. Apart from Bhalji 
     24Pendharkar’s mythological, Akashwani (1934) 
     25and Vinayak’s début feature Vilasi Ishwar 
     26(1935), the other notable production before the 
     27studio closed is Dadasaheb Phalke’s only 
     28sound film, his intended magnum opus, 
     29Gangavataran (1937). 
     30 
     31[[Studio]]